Exercise Physiologist Internship programme
Atrium Health Clinical Exercise Physiologist Internship programme
At Atrium Health, we believe it is important to offer learning opportunities to recent graduates interested in pursuing a career in the industry.
Date : 17/03/2020
Information: Due to COVID-19 we are not accepting Internship applications at this time. Please check back to this page once our centre has reopened.
The Atrium Health Team
Summary of internship- This is an exciting opportunity to gain first-hand experience of working with clinical populations ranging from those recovering from a recent cardiac event, those with chronic lung conditions and those with a range of other long-term health conditions and co-morbidities.
The aims and objectives of the internship is for you to-
• develop knowledge of the management, treatments, investigations and the role played by exercise in the rehabilitation of long-term conditions.
• gain an insight and develop the understanding of designing individualised exercise programmes.
• gain the skills essential to working in a gym setting with clinical populations.
Alongside the training programme outlined, the individual will be expected to assist the Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation team in supervising patients attending the outpatient programmes as well as providing assistance in the day-to-day administrative tasks required by the team.
We are looking for graduates in the field of Sport and Exercise Sciences (or equivalent) who are friendly, motivated and have a keen interest in the prevention and rehabilitation of long-term health conditions.
The duration of the internship will be for 2 months with the possibility of part-time/full-time employment thereafter (days and hours to be discussed).
- 2.1 or above in Sport and Exercise Sciences (or equivalent)
- Evidence of further study in related field
- Evidence of an interest in management and rehabilitation of long-term health conditions
- Experience of customer service
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Above all, motivated, passionate and enthusiastic
Atrium Health assist in the delivery of numerous NHS services, including Cardiac Rehabilitation, Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Vascular Rehabilitation. All staff and volunteers at Atrium Health take pride in all that we do to ensure the service provided is of the highest quality. Our values that all staff and volunteers aspire to are shared with those of the NHS-
Working together for patients
Respect and dignity
Commitment to quality of care
- Responsibilities during the internship- assisting and supporting patients, encouraging and advocating long-term adherence to exercise, goal-setting, assisting in clinical assessment, assisting in patient education, assisting in the upkeep of the facility, research and audit.
- Mentor- You will be assigned a Clinical Exercise Physiologist for the 8-week period who will assist you throughout the internship and to whom you will be accountable to.
- Site of placement- Atrium Health, Centre for Exercise & Health, Watch Close,
Coventry, CV1 3LN.
Week 1: Exercise Basics
- Introduction and expectations of placement
- Using the centre’s gym equipment
- Benefits of exercise → Health improvements, disease progression.
- Cardiovascular training and Resistance training
- Purpose of Rehabilitation/ Multi-Disciplinary Team
Week 2: Coronary Heart Disease and Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system
- CHD, Angina, Myocardial Infarction, Valve disease, Heart Failure
- Clinical investigations (ECG, Angiography, Echocardiogram, Myocardial Perfusion Scan
- Exercise responses in a Cardiac population
Week 3: COPD and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system
- COPD, Asthma and an overview of other related lung conditions
- Clinical investigations (Spirometry)
- Exercise responses in a Pulmonary population
Week 4: Exercise Programming
- Writing exercise programmes
- Structure of exercise sessions
- Warm-up/ Cool-down
- FITT principles
- Functional exercise prescription
Week 5: Working in a gym
- Performing exercise inductions
- Methods of monitoring exercise intensity (RPE, HR, SaO2, Clinical Observation)
- Choosing appropriate exercises
- Strength and conditioning in general and specific populations
- Assisting in the functional mobility classes.
Week 6: Exercise Assessments
- Exercise tolerance testing
- Functional ability testing
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing (CPET)
- ECG placement and basic ECG interpretation
- Prescribing exercise from assessments
- Risk stratification
- Goal setting
Week 7: Long-Term management/ Clinical Research
- Onward referrals
- Long term maintenance of exercise/ progression
- Overview of current research projects
Week 8: Overview of internship
- CV and Cover letter
- CV to include an overview of you and your interests, your education, previous employment (if any), email address, phone number and references
- CV to be no more than 2 sides of A4
- The cover letter is an opportunity to sell yourself and to ensure you get shortlisted.
- Cover letter to be no more than 250 words.
- Tell the truth, you will only get found out at interview!! It is a training post so we are not looking for the candidate with the highest qualifications and the most experience.
- Your passion and enthusiasm is more important to us.
- Check your grammar and spelling!!
Brief feedback can be provided on request for unsuccessful applicants.
- This is a voluntary post, therefore there is no financial benefit.
- Atrium Health is always expanding so there is always a chance of employment. Impress the staff and more importantly, impress the patients!
- There will be no re-imbursement for travel expense.